Monday, February 18, 2008

Sunday, 30 December 2007
Same old same old

Why am I staring at my screen at 3am? Why does this not surprise me whatsoever? The answer is because I'm a fucking idiot. With time not on my side to complete my coursework I made an early start. Up at the God awful hour of 10am, I was out the house doing journalistic errands by half eleven. By about twelve it had started raining and dropping back past my house to pick up a coat, I felt half relieved to have set up a few interviews and half annoyed that they would have to take place in the New Year.

I don't have time to be waiting around for people. This work needs to be done. I guess that's why the semester started back in October. Oh how I love learning things the hard way. It seemed like no time had passed when I found myself in a rush to get dinner on before hastely cycling to the shop. After a wasted five and a half hours, well six if you include the time spent on the bike, it was time to get back to school work. But I had no energy. Reheating what was left of my dinner and then microwaving a mouthwatering bolognese, my hunger subsided, but my zest for work (or lack thereof) prevailed.

Before I knew it I was watching the Extras Christmas special. Sliding ever more into pit of depression. Nice one Gervais. That was possibly the most painful hour and twenty minutes of festive entertainment since It's A Wonderful Life. Like everyone else who watched Andy Millman submerge himself in self afflicted self loathing whilst alienating his friends (this can't be a compliment for a TV show, but I guess it is); the end couldn't come soon enough. As with The Office Christmas special, absolution is finally achieved and we can breathe a sigh of relief for the wonderful characters that Gervais and company have brought into our lives.

I can now rest happy, safe in the knowledge that two fictional characters have achieved some sort of conclusion. However, for me it's the same old shit but a different day when I awake from my slumber. I want to be a fictional character.

No comments: