Sunday, April 11, 2004

It's been (another) while since my last blog, the connection to the internet at the hostel has gone and it's taken me until now to be bothered to find an internet cafe. Stupid library won't let me use they're computers for blogging, bastards.

Anyway, back to the point.

I've found the break from blogging over the last week quite useful to be honest, I am a fan of breaks, tea breaks, toilet breaks, cigarette breaks, if I sound like a slacker, that's because I am. I also think that today's slack generation ("generation x" as they used to call it) get a bad reputation for being slack. I mean, if there was anything worth working for I'm sure (some of us) would put in a little more effort.

It's dawned on me that's it's been over ten years since the first publication of "Generation X" (by Douglas Coupland, read it if you haven't) and the themes and ideas that run through the story still seem true to life in the twenty-first century world. Twenty-somethings are working McJobs for minimum wage (at least it's good in perspective to sweat-shop work and child labour) and have absolutely no goals or ambition. That is except to drive to secluded areas, sit around, talk and smoke tremendous amounts of cigarettes. Now we can't even afford an education to get the well paid job to leave behind for luxurious life of generation x.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, it's all off the top of my head which could be a good or bad thing. But it seems to me that society has cut out the middle man of education, to leave us as un-intelligent socialites. Well, at least I'll have a McJob when I'm seventy.

No comments: